Wednesday, February 9, 2005

QUIZ: What's Your Political Persuasion?

You Are a Liberal Republican

When you tell people that you're Republican, they rarely believe you. That's because you're socially liberal - likely pro-choice and pro-gay rights. You're also not so afraid of big goverment, as long as it benefits people and not politicians. You are the most likely of any Republican type to swing over to the Democrat side sometimes.
Yes, I am somewhat of a liberal Republican on some issues and conservative on others. Below were my responses for the questions (composing this quiz) to give you a better view of my stance on individual issues:

1. Sex between consenting adults should be:
A: Legal and left alone

I feel that there should be certain moral and ethical standards regarding sexual behavior, but it's not the government's responsibility to enforce them. Issues such as homosexuality, sex ed, and abstinence are best left to be taught in the home. However, incest is a societal and pyschological problem.

2. Marijuana should be:
A. Available to medical patients.

Marijuana has some medical properties (i.e. pain relief for those who suffer chronic pain when traditional pain relievers have become ineffective; also relieves nausea for patients undergoing chemo therapy). However there will need to be regulations placed to prevent misuse and abuse of prescribing privledges.

3. Do you think people should be able to control their own retirement (i.e. privatize social security)?
A. Probably not - though a small amount of privitazation might be okay

I don't know a lot about the issues surronding social security.

4. Who should get a tax cut?
A. Only the poor and the middle class

Once a mutual friend and I were discussing tax breaks (in a civil matter, it was good dialouge) and he told me that my stance on tax breaks is actually democratic. The poor and middle (working class) don't need to be burdened more than they already are. It seems that often the poor struggle for safe and healthy living conditions and both the middle class and lower class struggle to afford post-secondary education and a complete range of healthcare sevices while they are affordable for the rich. I do believe in government aid for those who sincerely need it to help them get back on their feet, but not for who abuse it.

5. Replacing government welfare with church and private charities is:
A. Smart. Businesses are always better at getting things done than goverments.

Let's return to the focus of community i.e. neighbors helping out neighbors, but I would hope though that the government would continue to provide funding assistance through grants. I do see a lot of wonderful, beneficial charities out there right now that need volunteers, supplies, and charitable funding.

6. Who would you trust the most?
A. Your minister / pastor / priest

I would like a leader that is honest, lives a life similar to most working class Americans, and see things more on the humanitarian level (rather than popularity and political gain). However I'm wary of them as leaders standardizing religious and moral beliefs. Current politicians frustrate me soo much. I take issue with: dishonesty in regards to government and contry issues, poor management of the government budget and the economy, flip-flopping moral/political views back and forth to gain popularity and get voted into office. It's got to be better than the selection of politicians we have now.

7. Abortion is:
A. Wrong.

LOL, the results of the quiz are slightly off, I affiliate myself with being pro-life but lean towards the middle.

I have witnessed the effects of the abortion revolution her generation brought about, and I say it has not solved anything. Abortion on demand has not made men respect women more, it has not made it easier for women to refuse unwanted sexual advances, it has not reduced the consequences of early sexual activity and pregnancy (if anything a teen can easily have an abortion to erase the "mistake"), and it has not healed the emotional wounds of rape and incest victims.

I believe abortion hurts the very women it was supposed to heal.

I believe abortion gives men the freedom to be irresponsible.

I believe abortion gives society an excuse to ignore and spurn young mothers.

I believe that motherhood is not the end of life, but its beginning.

I believe that life begins at conception and the unborn is a unique, individual, human being in the early stages of human life.

I believe in choice: I believe no woman should be raped, forced or coerced into sexual relations. I believe that a woman who partakes in consensual sex has already made a choice - she is choosing by her actions to accept the possible consequence of a child.

I believe that many women who choose abortion do so out of a feeling of desperation. According to the Alan Guttmacher Institute, over 90% of women have an abortion due to social and financial concerns. Abortion is a reflection that we [as a society] have not met the needs of women facing unplanned pregnancy in terms of emotional support, resources, and viable alternatives. These women need to know that we will not let them down. They need help to have their babies. They need healing after abortion. They need love.

I believe making abortion illegal again and locking up women who have abortions would in no way help society. What first must be done is to focus on improving life affirming options for mother and child, to reduce the need for abortion (i.e. developing a better support system, address the societal pressures which lead women to abortion) and hold men accountible for their actions.

I believe abortion should be reserved for women whose physical health is at risk, and the proper screening should be provided, including psychological counselling.

I believe abortion providers should be monitored and regulated more diligently for quality of care and safety and should be required to meet the same medical and ethical standards practiced for any other medical procedure.

I do support preventing unplanned pregnancy through legalized contraception.

8. Are you for or against school vouchers?
A. For

Perhaps my view is jaded on this because I grew up going to a Catholic school. However, I do believe that every parent has the right to choose the method of which their child will be educated (whether it be by homeschooling, a tutor, a private school, or a public school).

9. Are you for or against legalized gambling?
A. For

With regulations, I think legalized gambling would not be a social burden. It would provide revenue for the government, jobs, and commercial business. Of course, I recognize the negative issues of increased crime and gambling addiction (but it's up to the indivual to seek counseling, as with any other addiction). But these issues properly addressed, would become a non-issue.

10. The size of goverment is:
A. Just about right

11. Who do you wish you could vote for?
A. Argh, no one

12. Finally, which party do you most affiliate yourself with?
A. Republican

No comments:

Post a Comment